Information About Coming To The US

A lawyer can become your new best friend when you find yourself facing the legal system. I learned about the legal system and have information to help others.

Information About Coming To The US

28 October 2019
 Categories: Law, Blog

There are ways you can visit the US if you are not a legal resident. Also, there are steps you can take if you want to become a US resident. You can learn about some of the different types of visas there are that you can apply for that will allow you to visit the US temporarily and you can learn about them below, as well as other things about what you should do if you run into issues, as well as what you should do if you want to become a permanent resident.

Learn more about non-immigrant visas

Some of the ways that you can enter into the US include obtaining the certain type of visa that revolves around your reason for wanting to enter the US for in the first place.

Travel visa – If you want to travel to the US to visit friends or family, or simply to see the sights, then you are going to want to obtain a type of visa that is known as the travel visa and it will allows you entry into the US for your travel purposes.

Student visa – If your reason for wanting to enter into the US is to go to school, then you will want to get a student visa. This is a visa that will allow you to remain in the US while you attend school. You are going to need to be able to prove that you will be able to support yourself financially. If you have children, then they may also be able to obtain a visa under yours while you are in the US attending school. Your children will also be able to go to a US public school during the period in which the visa is in effect.

Learn about visas to become a permanent immigrant

If you want to move to the US, then there are some types of visas that you can get that will help put you in the best situation to be one step closer to becoming a permanent immigrant to the US.

Fiance visa – If you are engaged to a US citizen and you would like to marry them and move to the US to be with them. Then you want to get what is known as a fiancé visa. This visa will allow you to come to the US to take care of things such as get situated and become legally married. There are certain requirements, such as your fiancé and you will need to show how you will be supported financially.

Family visa – If you have family in the US, then you may be able to come to the US on a family visa that would allow you to come here to be with family.

Learn more about becoming a permanent resident

You will want to apply for a two-year green card first. This will allow you to remain in the US for two years. During these two years you need to make sure you don't get in any legal trouble. After the two years is up, then you want to apply for a permanent green card that's good for ten years. When you are in the US, it is important for you to always maintain a clean legal record by staying out of trouble.

What to do if you run into problems

If you are having a hard time with the process for applying for residency, or you do run into some type of trouble, you really need to get yourself an immigration attorney. They are going to be your best chance at getting things sorted out.